Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Colorado Drawings DIllon Step 3

This is a small (5 x 8 inch) mixed media drawing, based on a sketch from a small sketchbook (also 5 x 8 inches) that I took along on a trip in the Colorado mountains in the 1980s. I tried to capture the lines of the mountains with quick pencil sketches, quick because I was a passenger in a moving car. The original sketch is labelled "Dillon". I want to a series of drawings based on that Colorado sketchbook, so I have been thinking hard about the choices I make as I begin. In this drawing's first stage (posted here Oct. 17), I created areas of color with conte crayon, keeping the areas of color pretty flat. I liked the color, but thought the lines were getting lost. I had been fighting the urge to draw over the conte crayon, and finally gave in and quickly drew some lines with fine line marker. (That version was posted here yesterday, October 18th.) It felt great to draw those lines in, but it also felt like I had created a problem, but I decided to try to solve it. I decided that the lines didn't seem integrated with the rest of the drawing. So I adapted the color scheme and added dark areas next to the lines. I also drew over the lines with conte crayon in some places to make the lines softer. When I was done, I was happier with the drawing. And now I have a better idea of what I want to do with the next drawing.

No comments: