Sunday, October 16, 2011

Colorado Drawings Trial Run (Dillon)

Last week I posted a line drawing of this same scene (mountains somewhere near Dillon), from a little 5 x 8 inch sketchbook that I had with me during a trip to Colorado back in the 80s. From the passenger seat, I tried to capture the lines of the mountains with quick pencil sketches. Since this old sketchbook reappeared a few weeks ago, I decided to do some small drawings based on the sketches. The image you see here is just a trial run. For each drawing, I am starting by making a new line drawing by tracing over graphite paper. This morning, I wanted to just try out my idea, mostly to find out how the conte crayon and perhaps some marker pen would work with the lines made with graphite paper. (I have already discovered that the graphite can smudge pretty badly and can't be erased.) So I made a second copy of the line drawing, just to use to experiment. I wasn't really thinking about the color scheme, just wanted to see how well the lines would show up if I used conte with various values. I also tried a little bit of marker pen, too, just in case I decide to use that. Then I got interested in the drawing and kept going, and this is the result. This little dress rehearsal was a good exercise.

No comments: