Friday, April 27, 2012

Accidental Inspiration for Colorado Drawing (Aspen)

This image is a photo of a printing mishap that turned into accidental inspiration. This is a print out of a pencil sketch that I scanned into my computer on Wednesday. It is from a little 5 x 8" sketchbook from a 1980's trip through the Colorado mountains. I am making a series of drawings based on these old sketches. using these old sketches to create a series of drawings. I scan them, print out the scans in the same size, and use graphite paper to trace the image into a new sketchbook, so I can draw into the sketch with marker and colored pencil and conte crayon. Well, when I printed this sketch out, I was expecting it to be just black and white, but this is the image that came out. (Apparently the printer heads need cleaning, big time.) My first reaction was to laugh because I immediately liked the way the image looked in blue. I had been wondering how I would handle the dark shaded areas in the drawing, and now I know. I even like the striped pattern in the background. Maybe there is a way to use that, too.

No comments: