Monday, April 16, 2012

Magnolias in Boston's Back Bay (Digital Woodcut)

On March 20, during a trip into Boston, I took pictures of the magnolia trees in bloom in Boston's Back Bay. Although I have already posted the original version of this image, as well as a posterized version, tonight I decided to see what it would look like as a digital woodcut. I opened the image in Painter 12 and got to work. There was a lot of trial and error as I adjusted the controls. The problem was to get just the right amount of black line where I wanted it, to accentuate the architectural lines without overwhelming the delicate magnolias. After many failed attempts, I decided to use the magic wand tool so I could apply the woodcut effect selectively, and put it just where I wanted it. So here's an image of magnolias in Boston Back's Bay; like the Boston Marathon, it happens every spring. And it is still amazing, every time.

No comments: