Saturday, November 10, 2012

Colorado Sketchbook Georgetown (Brown Pencil)

This is a sketch that I made during a trip back home to Colorado during the 1980s. We drove through the mountains, and when I was in the passenger seat, I took out my small (5 x 8 inch) sketchbook and made quick contour drawings of the mountains as they flew by. Sometimes I noted where we were (Georgetown, in this case). I came across that old sketchbook sometime last year and decided to create a series of drawings based on the sketches, adding color with dry media. Tonight I decided to make a drawing based on this sketch. The first step is to scan it into the computer. I make a PDF to print out. I keep the image the same size so I can then trace over the printed copy, using graphite paper to make a copy in a new sketchbook (this one also 5 x 8 inches). And I also make a jpeg so I have a good digital image of the original sketch. With this one, I had to do a little digital cleanup to remove some stray marks. I used brown colored pencil in the original drawing, and I like that, but I also used iPhoto to create a black and white version, just in case. Tomorrow I hope to start the drawing.

No comments: