Sunday, November 11, 2012

Dad in England WWII (Rescued and Posterized Snapshot)

This image began with a snapshot that I found in my mom's old album today. She married my dad right before he went overseas in 1943. While he was away, she created a photo album with the pictures he sent to her, as well as the photos that she took back home in Pueblo, Colorado. During the war he was stationed in England and in France. There are little clues in the pictures about what he was doing with the military: in a foxhole, in front of a tent, holding ammunition. But most of the photos he sent my mom were the lighter side of the experience: playing accordion and piano for the army band, and seeing London during some time off, as in this photo. No doubt the photographer was one of his army buddies. Today I scanned the photo into my computer and used iPhoto to do some basic editing and retouching, and then used Painter 12 to posterize it. So here's to my dad on Veteran's Day. And here's to all those dads, uncles, granddads, moms, sisters, daughters, sons who have gone off to war.

No comments: