Sunday, June 09, 2013

Red Leaves in the Woods (Oil Bar Painting)

This is my oil bar painting as it looked yesterday (June 8, 2013). I have been painting this landscape of the wooded areas around Long Hill Gardens here in Beverly, MA. I took a picture there in October, and I used that photo as my reference for this painting. Yesterday I worked on the tree to the far left of the canvas, trying to match the strength of some of the trees on the far right, to create a bit of balance. I also modified the shape of the second little patch of red on the left. After that, I made a lot of very subtle little corrections. And although I could go on fixing things forever, I had to call it yesterday because it is time. This one is officially done. Yesterday I started sealing the edges (painting the outside edges of the canvas) and kept going with that this morning. I want it to dry so I can hang it in my studio for Open Studios next weekend. I am already thinking about what to paint next.

No comments: