Sunday, August 11, 2013

Reflections (Oil Bar Painting as of August 9, 2013)

This is the oil bar painting I have been working on as it looked on Friday, August 9th. (I am still two days behind in posting.) I am painting a scene in Bradley Palmer State Park, roughly based on a photo that I took there. (My reference photo is posted here on June 14, 2013.) On Friday I worked on the tree on the right side of the canvas. I decided to start by redefining the lines of the branches (they were getting lost), so I repainted them with some blue paint. That made quite a difference. Once I made the branches darker, the tree began to blend into the rest of the landscape. (Even though my goal is a tree that "reads" as dark green, I am using mixing in some red and blue to get there.) Then I kept going for a while, mostly working on the leaves.

No comments: