Friday, April 04, 2014

"Mr. and Mr. Hy" (Digital Woodcut)



My folks were married on April 4, 1943, and I usually create an image to celebrate the date.  My dad was born in Brooklyn, NY, but met my mother in Pueblo, Colorado where he was stationed during WW II before going off to Europe . My parents met at a USO dance and married just a few weeks later, and took a brief honeymoon to  New York just before he went overseas for two years. While he was away, my mother kept an album that began with their first date, their wedding, and honeymoon, and then pictures he sent her back from Europe as well as pictures of her doings back home in Pueblo. This morning I chose this snapshot, part of the honeymoon series in my mom's album.  I don't know who took the picture, but it was probably one of my father's sisters.I scanned the snapshot into the computer, and used Painter software to add color with color overlays and digital pastel, and tried to get a little distance with a digital woodcut effect. It was fun working on this today. My mother labeled each picture (with ink on black paper) and she called this one "Mr. and Mrs. Hy."

No comments: