Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Codfish Project (Trial Run for Surface Texture) April 25, 2015



This is part of my prep work for a wooden codfish that I am decorating for the Marblehead Arts Festival. (There will be fifty of these wooden codfish, each decorated by a local artist. The codfish will be on display in Marblehead and auctioned off this summer.) I am using tissue paper to create a silver codfish with pink and blue markings. I also want to suggest scales with gold accents, but have been struggling with how to do it. I tried painting through a net, but the method was unreliable. I even had the idea of painting the net itself and pasting pieces of it into the surface. But I thought it was a bit too literal, and besides, the net was casting a bit of shadow on the surface. So the other day, I gave it another try, on a piece of computer paper and came up with a method that works: dipping the net in the paint, pressing it in place, and rolling over the net with the handle of a brush. Here is my trial run and this is how it looks.

No comments: