Saturday, April 04, 2015

Cutting the Wedding Cake



Last September, I took a trip to New York, and my cousin David hand delivered an 8 x 10 inch photo that he had been saving for me.  It was a picture of my parents cutting their wedding cake. I was so glad to have it! I had seen a much smaller version in my mother's album, but it was great to have the original version. Today I scanned the 8 x 10 photo into my computer and used iPhoto to crop out some distractions in the background (wood framing on the wall behind the bride, the edge of a wedding guest standing next to my dad).  The photo was in very good shape, but I used iPhoto's retouch tool to clean up some stray marks. I am planning to create a colorized/posterized version of this, so this edited version is the first step. I did a little searching in my mom's album and realized that this is not her wedding dress, which was a pink suit with ruffles on the color  and 3/4 sleeves.  (All the photos I have are black and white, but in her album, my mother wrote said, "The bride wore pink".) The two gardenias she is wearing look like the same flowers that were on the bible that she carried at the wedding. So she must have changed before the reception. This looks like a "going away outfit."   I am going to see if I can find out more about the color scheme, but meanwhile I am posting this today because my parents were married on April 3, 1943.

No comments: