Monday, April 04, 2016

Evening Out (Anniversary Plate)


Over the weekend, I made this decorate plate to mark my parents' wedding anniversary. (They were married on April 4, 1943.) They have been gone for years, but working with old photos of them gives me a way to still celebrate. So this project really started with a picture of my parents taken sometime in the 1950s.*(I don't know who the photographer is, but it was probably by my uncle, Ike Fitterman, who was a professional photography and took lots of family pictures.) The original photo showed my parents sitting around a table with my grandmother and my aunt and uncle. Everyone look great, but my mom had blinked when the flash went off and her eyes were nearly closed -- probably why I hadn't seen the photo displayed anywhere. So a few years ago (in 2008) I cropped a closeup of my parents out of the original. I did some basic retouching and then used Painter's digital pastel to draw into the photo and open my mom's eyes a bit. I put in some subtle color: sepia, cream and pink colors. (You can see the result posted here on Nov. 2, 2008.). I love this picture and have been meaning to use it to make a decorative plate. This past weekend, I finally had a chance to work on it. I cut the photo image to fit the inner circle of the plate, then used collage to attach the photo to the plate. I used dark brown tissue paper to create the border. I love this photo and have also used it to make a pendant as a "Memory Imprints" project. You can see the pendant, and some of my other keepsake projects, at memoryimprints.net

No comments: