Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Pansies as of Apr 6 2016 (Porter Mill Challenge #1)


I started this still life this morning, with colored conte crayons. I am participating in Porter Mill Artists four week challenge to produce one work for each week in April. I decided on still life drawing with pastel or conte crayon, something that I really enjoy but haven't done for a while. I had everything I needed to draw this morning -- except the subject. I was thinking about running out to the grocery store to buy a bouquet of flowers but remembered that my daughter recently bought me a big pot of pansies for the deck. But because of our recent cold snap and snowstorm, I had brought them inside and have been keeping them warm in my home studio. So I grabbed the pansies, put them on the table, and got started. This is my drawing after about an hour and a half. There are still some things I want to fix, and I may adjust the background colors, but I enjoyed this exercise and am pretty happy with the results.

No comments: