Friday, April 29, 2016

Yellow Mums as of Apr. 29, 2016 (Porter Mill Challenge #4)


I started this drawing today, my fourth and last for the Porter Mill Challenge (to produce one new piece of art each week for a month.) This is the last in a set of four still life drawings done with conte crayon, each with a slightly off-center composition and each with a patterned tablecloth. I spent a couple of hours on this because I am pushing to get this finished by tomorrow (last day in April), but we will see. I did a lot of preliminary work to measure and set up the composition so this drawing will "match" the others if they are displayed together. Then I sketched in the composition and spent some time drawing the flowers. I roughed in some colors for the background, just to get some ideas, but I am pretty sure the colors you see are not the final colors. There are lots of errors to clean up because I was working pretty quickly. Tomorrow I plan to straighten some lines, whip some elipses into shape, and improve the color scheme.

No comments: