Friday, December 02, 2016

Baby Picture of My Mom (Keepsake as of December 2, 2016)


I am trying to finish up this project, a keepsake that I am making from a baby picture of my mom. This is based on a family photo that I rescued last summer. It was scratched, torn, and was missing the upper left corner. (The before and after versions are posted here, July 31.)  Then in November, I added color, using Painter's digital pastel.  And this week, I have been making the keepsake. I attached a printout of the photo to a canvas board and painted the border. Today I added a border made of gift wrap ribbon.  This is partly an emotional choice because when I was a kid, one of the things I did with my mom was to "help" her wrap presents up in her bedroom. (I doubt I was much help, but I still remember being amazed at how she could make the ribbon curl by running a scissor blade over it.)  I said yesterday that this kind of ribbon is easy to work with, but today I was ready to take it back!  It is easy to measure and makes a clean border, but wow I had a lot of trouble getting it to stick. It finally did, though.  I plan to tint the ribbon a pale pink. But I didn't have time to do that today, so I will probably finish this tomorrow.

No comments: