Friday, April 20, 2018

Shelli (Codfish Project as of Apr. 20, 2018)


Today I continued work on this wooden codfish that I am decorating for Marblehead Festival of Art.  Some 50 local artists have been invited to decorate wooden cutouts; these will be auctioned off online to benefit the arts in Marblehead. This year, I am decorating my fish with a seashell pattern (a kind of visual pun).  Yesterday I painted the seashell shapes with white, fixing placement errors as I went along.  Today I used colored pencil to refine the placement. I am outlining the shells in brown colored pencil, and will go over that with metallic gold marker.  I am also using turquoise colored pencil to fill in the teeny tiny spaces that will be tricky to cover with a brush. The background will be the iridescent pale turquoise already on head, fins, and tail.  I am eager to just jump in and paint the background, but first I am using white paint to clean up stray pencil marks (mistakes and smudges) that might show up through the paint.  This is tedious, but as I learned last year, way easier than trying to clean up the mess that happens if you try to erase graphite pencil over gesso. With all of these small changes, the pattern of seashells is starting to emerge. To be continued. . . .

No comments: