Sunday, May 20, 2018

Flatirons at Nightfall (Acrylic Watermedia as of May 20, 2018)


I started another painting today.  This is another "Mountain Daydream," paintings of Colorado from memory and imagination.  I am painting for a show at Galatea Gallery in July, which is why I am painting so many mountains.  And I am using the color wheel as an organizing principle. My last painting, "Colorado Snow Day," is primarily white.  I decided that I would try for a landscape that reads as primarily black, and thought of trying to paint the Boulder Flatirons at night.  Although most of my "Mountain Daydreams" are painting exclusively from memory, for this one I did look at some photos of the Flatirons to get the characteristic shape of the mountains.  Right now, the sky is a pale orange, which may remain near the silhouette of those mountains, but the sky will be darker.  

No comments: