Friday, December 28, 2018

Three Little Girls (Rescued and Posterized Snapshot)


This image began with a snapshot recently found among my Dad's photos. (A few weeks ago, my cousin sent me two boxes of my father's old pictures.) The small color snapshot we found shows my daughter (on the left) with two of her cousins.  The snapshot itself was in awful shape. I was only half joking when I said that it looked like someone had driven a car over the photo and had then spilled spaghetti sauce on it.  But I liked the picture and my daughter wanted a clean copy.  So I scanned the image into my computer and did some basic retouching in iPhoto.  Then I opened the image in Painter and used digital pastel to clean up the image, sampling color repeatedly and using a very opague digital brush so I could draw into/over the image without creating a flat texture.  I was pretty happy with the rescued snapshot and sent it to my daughter.  And as I cleaned it up, I liked it more and more. So I decided to also created this "artsy" version by adding Painter's posterizing effect. I also cropped the image to get this composition. 

No comments: