Monday, December 03, 2018

Tree of Life Menorah (Digital Drawing)


It's the second night of Chanukah! Yesterday I posted a little animation that I created on my iPad with the Procreate app.  My idea was to start with an image of the "Tree of Life" and then transform the tree into a menorah,  in honor of those lost in the shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburg. (I make these videos by drawing on my iPad with the Procreate app, and the video is created as I draw.)  The video is posted here, on Dec. 2nd. This drawing was the final frame of the video. Today I opened the image in Painter and used some digital pastel to clean it up just a bit.  So "Happy Chanukah" again to those celebrating. Although Chanukah is best known for potato pancakes, jelly doughnuts, and wooden tops, it really is a holiday that celebrates religious freedom.  And to quote that ancient text, "Fiddler on the Roof," "G d would like us to be joyful even when our hearts lie panting on the floor." So it seems appropriate to remember Pittsburg even as we celebrate Chanukah.

No comments: