Friday, July 12, 2024

The Whirlpool (Moby Dick project) as of July 4, 2024



This is my "Whirlpool" painting as it looked at the end of the day on July 4, 2024.  I am painting this for a special show based on Moby Dick, being held at Porter Mill Studios. This is a representation of the whirlpool that swallows the Pequod, bringing an end to the narrative. Although I am not attempting a realistic painting, I continued to look at videos and photos.  I had made a beginning with some dark blue shadows around the circles.  I added some lighter blue and some white to suggest the movement of the water. I decided to try using breaks in the water coincide with spaces between the words. The superimposed text is the last sentence of the final chapter:
  *"And now concentric circles seized the lone boat itself and all its crew and each floating oar and every lancepole and spinning, animate and inanimate, all round and round in one vortex carried the smallest chip of the Pequod out of sight."

No comments: