Saturday, July 13, 2024

The Whirlpool (Moby Dick project) as of July 5, 2024



I continued working on this project, a painting for Porter Mill's special exhibit about Moby Dick.  This is a representation of the whirlpool that destroys the Pequod at end of the novel.  The text seen in the painting is the last sentence of the final chapter: "And now concentric circles seized the lone boat itself and all its crew and each floating oar and every lancepole and spinning, animate and inanimate, all round and round in one vortex carried the smallest chip of the Pequod out of sight."  At this point, I was a bit more confident about where this was going, but I was still figuring things out as I went along. I added more color: dark blue for depth, white to suggest sea foam, and a softer blue in the middle. The tricky part was making sure I would have sufficient contrast with the lettering. To be continued.  

No comments: