Thursday, August 23, 2007

Ribbon Roses Collage, Back (Aug. 23)

Ribbon Roses Collage, Back (Aug. 23) Originally uploaded by randubnick

I have been working on a collage of ribbon roses, the base of which is a styrofoam tray. The front of the collage is basically complete, but now I am working on the back and sides of the tray, shown in the photo. For several days, I have been working on the outside edges, using brown and bronze colored pieces. It has been slow going and tedious. But today I decided on a design for the back of the tray, and that made for faster and happier progress. I noticed two "built in" features on the back of the tray that I could use for my design. There is a small rectangular indentation in the center, which Ifilled with gold patterns cut from the printed ribbons I am using. I also noticed very subtle marks extending from the small inner rectangle out to the corners of the tray, making an X on the back of the tray, and dividing it into four pieces, much like the back of an envelope. I decided to use that for my design too. But the marks only show up in strong light, so I drew over them in pencil so I won't lose my place as I work.The top and bottom areas will be filled with a pink floral (crewel) pattern, and the areas to the left and right will be shades of red cut from paisley patterns. I pasted down enough ribbon in both patterns to establish the basic design. I was very happy with the idea and excited to finish. I stayed a bit longer than the hour I planned, but when I caught myself trying to hurry, I decided it was time to stop for the day, because being in a hurry to finish is the most efficient way to ruin a piece like this. But I am eager to get back to this project. . . .

No comments: