Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Watching the Sunrise (Digitally Edited Photo)

Watching the Sunrise (Digitally Edited Photo)

This is another of the photographs I took recently. I used my phonecam to take this picture at the beach in Lynn, MA, where I stopped on my way home after a very early morning trip to the airport. This image was cropped out of the original photo. I liked the composition, but I wanted to solve two problems. The first was a distracting mark on the concrete wall, which I was able to fix easily with Painter's digital airbrush. The second problem was that I wanted the park bench to show up, but the photo was too dark in that area. I had tried to use the standard controls to make the photo brighter, but I was losing some of the color in the sky. So still in Painter, I used the select tool and marked off the concrete, the area from the top of the grass to the top of the wall, and was able to lighten the wall so that it was easier to see the bench. Then I increased the color saturation just a bit to make sure I hadn't lost the color of the sunrise and the bright morning light on the lawn.

No comments: