Thursday, September 06, 2007

Ribbon Roses Collage, Back (Sept. 6)

Ribbon Roses Collage, Back (Sept. 6) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Today I went to the studio at Red Brick and worked on this collage, which is on the back of a styrofoam tray. There is already another collage on the other side, an image of three roses in a vase. Both collages are made out of fabric ribbons printed with various patterns. Today I had hoped to complete the two red areas, but it was slow going. I concentrated most of my attention on the red pattern because I am worried that I will run out of red ribbon. I also added to the pink areas and to the bronze-colored areas on the sides. Today I felt like I was doing a jigsaw puzzle, looking for the right color, and figuring out where each piece should go. I am usually impatient when I begin to work on this project, but as I relax and give in to the process, I enjoy it and don't want to stop. The trick is to let go of outcome. This is my time to make art, and it doesn't matter if I work quickly or slowly. I only had an hour to work on this today, but when it was time to stop, I could see the progress I had made.

No comments: