Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Sketch for Mill and River at Night (As of Oct. 1)

Sketch for Mill and River at Night (As of Oct. 1) Originally uploaded by randubnick

I really hadn't planned to keep working on this little digital sketch of the Merrimac River in Manchester, N.H. (I was sketching to prepare to paint.) But after looking at my photo of the same scene (posted yesterday), I did want to make some changes in the little sketch. I had made the sketch quickly from memory, without reviewing the photo before I started. I had used my handheld to make the sketch, but had already transferred the file to my computer, so yesterday I opened the image in Painter IX. I changed the color of the building to a brown that is close to purple. Then using a grid and square digital chalk, I straightened up the windows a bit. I noticed other things to fix. (For example, in the photo, there is less movement in the water and the reflection is more stable.) But it was time to stop. So this is how the sketch looked yesterday when I finished working on it.

No comments: