Sunday, November 18, 2007

Painted Leaves (Digitally Modified and Posterized Photo)

Painted Leaves (Digitally Modified and Posterized Photo) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Still time for another look at autumn leaves. This image began as a photo I took a few weeks ago in the gardens at Long Hill. When I saw these leaves with their beautiful colors and patterns, I thought they looked hand-painted. So I took a photo with my phonecam. Of course, later when I looked at the image on my computer screen, I could see that the leaves had been snacked on by insects and torn up by the wind. So I opened the image in Painter IX and started patching little holes in the leaves with digital pastel. But I also noticed some major rips and broken leaves, so I did more work with the digital pastel. So now these leaves really are hand-painted. But I matched the color digitally, so the colors in this image were all in the original photo, and followed the pattern in the leaves. Finally, I posterized the image, adjusting the levels to get the effect that you see here. It is good pay attention to autumn leaves, because they will all be gone very soon.

No comments: