Sunday, April 06, 2008

Mountain Silhouettes (Monotype with Two Plates)

Mountain Silhouettes (Monotype with Two Plates) Originally uploaded by randubnick

I made this monotype in Thursday night's printmaking class. We each made a print using two plates. The teacher also demonstrated how to use shapes cut from myelar sheets. I am still using familiar mountain imagery so I can concentrate on learning the process. First I made the cutouts, cutting the myelar sheet into two pieces with just one curving diagonal line, for a mountainous shape. I decided that I would use the other half of the myelar sheet at the top of the plate, so the bottom edge would create another mountain silhouette. Then I covered the first plate with blue pigment, put red pigment on the two myelar shapes, and placed them on the inked plate. I used cardboard to scrape away some of the red and blue pigment, to add texture and to create light areas where ink from the second plate could show through. For the second plate, I mixed a pink color and added some gel to create transparency. The second plate is supposed to add a layer of transparent color and perhaps texture to the print. When both of my plates were ready, I ran the first plate through the press, creating the dark red and blue areas. Then I ran the same piece of paper through the press with the second plate, creating the pink areas. The two plates weren't lined up perfectly, so there is some white at the bottom and a pink area at the top. But I liked the effect and really enjoyed learning something new!

No comments: