Friday, April 04, 2008

Radio City Music Hall April 1943 (Rescued Photo)

Radio City Music Hall April 1943 (Rescued Photo) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Today I found a snapshot in my mother's photo album and decided to rescue it. This album begins with my mom's first date with my dad. They met during World War II; my father was from Brooklyn but was stationed in Pueblo, and met my mom there at a USO dance. After dating just three months, they married on April 4th, and went to New York for a brief honeymoon (and for my mom to meet dad's family) just before my dad was shipped overseas. My mom kept the album going while he was away, including snapshots of what was going on at home in Pueblo, and snapshots that my dad sent home from Europe. She pasted the photos down on black paper and wrote captions for the photos in white ink. That's how I know that they went to Radio City Music Hall on April 22 to see the Easter Revue and "Flight to Freedom". This was one of several Broadway shows and performances that they saw that week, and I am sure the excitement of the trip and the shows was a great distraction for both of them, in the face of an uncertain future and the long separation ahead. I don't whether the photographer was my mom or my dad. The original snapshot is very small. I scanned it into the computer. I really liked the basic composition, so I just cropped it a bit to eliminate some sidewalk and a manhole cover. I adjusted the contrast, and used Painter IX to sharpen the focus and clean up one scratch. The pink tones were there when I opened the file in the computer. I kind of like the pink; in fact, it made me think about adding more color to the image. To be continued. . . .

No comments: