Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Found Art (Posterized Photo of Pool Filter)


Found Art (Posterized Photo of Pool Filter) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Today I was asked to take a picture of the inside of our (malfunctioning) swimming pool filter, to e-mail to the swimming pool company for a diagnosis. After launching into my customary rant about "The Role of the Artist in American Society," I complied, using my digital camera. Although it was hard to see what I was doing, I did my best, and the results were very useful to the swimming pool people. But family members who saw the photos thought they were interesting, and I had to agree, even though at first I laughed off the suggestion that I post them here. So tonight I cropped one of the photos and posterized it, and here it is, a piece of found art (with apologies to Marcel Duchamp). This is funny, but also serious, because I really do believe that art can be found anywhere (even in a broken swimming pool filter), and that beauty can be found every day, if we are willing to look.

No comments: