Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Colorado Sketchbook Aspen

Colorado Sketchbook Aspen by randubnick
Colorado Sketchbook Aspen, a photo by randubnick on Flickr.

Several months ago, I came across an old sketchbook from the 1980s that I had taken along during a trip home to Colorado. The sketchbook is 5 x 8 inches, a great size for travel. It was summer, approximately 1986 or 1987. We drove into the mountains and when I was in the passenger seat, I would grab a pencil and the sketchbook so I could try to capture the contours of the mountains as they rushed by. Sometimes I would even write down the approximate location. Well, this fall I started a series of drawings based on this litte Colorado sketchbook. I made a good start with this series (even had one in a show). Although I have been busy and working on other projects, I haven't forgotten this one. I have been wanting to get back to it, so today I got started. This is one of the quick drawings from the original sketchbook, a view of Aspen. Today I scanned this drawing into my computer, which is the first step. I am glad to have this image scanned because I do like it just as it is. The next step is to print out a copy the same size as the original, and trace over it with graphite paper, to create a new version that I can draw into with conte crayon, pastel, colored pencil, and marker.

No comments: