Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Orange Ridge (Acrylic Watermedia as of Mar. 19, 2018)



This is the painting I have been working on, as it looked yesterday.  This is another  of my "Mountain Daydreams,"  painted from my imagination and my memories of the Colorado Rockies. Although I liked the purple shadows I had added, I began with the idea of adding more orange. My first idea was to use a translucent orange wash, but I pulled back when I saw that it was killing the purple, turning it brown.  So then I worked more selectively, intensifying the orange in some places.  In one or two spots, I painted through a screen with thick orange paint, on top of the purple. I was happy with that.  I also added a yellow wash to the tops of the mountains.  Finally I added magenta to outlinethe tops of each mountain.  I often add outline like that, but it is usually very pale, almost white.  When I was done for the day, I kind of liked what I had done, but was also feeling uncertain about what to do next. (That uncertainty is not necessary a bad thing.) So I have been looking at this painting and thinking it over today. Tomorrow I think I may restore some of the purple in a few places, and continue to intensify the orange toward the bottom of the picture.  I like the magenta outline, but I may make it a bit lighter in a few places, to indicate light hitting the mountains. I may also add another pale wash to the sky, to simplify it a bit. To be continued. . . .

No comments: